Re: [K12OSN] one year performance graphs and statistics for two server setups we use

Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:
Cacti already monitor SNMP. i was looking for the exact SNMP strings you
might think help me monitor router's bottle-necks , NIC's IO buttle-necks,
cpu wait for IO, squid wait for...
(actually, i monitor some hardware with SNMP. but i did not include it in
the report.)

Cacti is easier to set up, but opennms is more comprehensive and does more by default. It will have default graphs for CPU use that color-code the user/system/wait times. I don't think there is anything specific for NIC buffers but it will graph interface errors, total current connections, and connections being opened in in/out bound directions as well as interface bandwidth. And it can notify you via email, sms, a jabber chat room, etc. when something goes wrong.

But there's probably only a few things that matter - one will be total outbound bandwidth for screen-intensive things, another will be CPU use for things like flash that all run on the server CPU. These are easy to see even with cacti. Another is disk head contention where multiple users/processes all are waiting for something in different locations on the same disk. That one is harder to diagnose - and likely the most common bottleneck.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com