[K12OSN] 64 bit ltsp vs. virtualization

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jun 24 01:10:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 07:49 -0700, Luis Montes wrote:
> I'm placing an order today for a new server. The school I'm using it at
> has about 75 thin clients.
> Currently we're using an smbldap serer and two dual-core 4GB ram servers.
>
> I'm gonna spend 5 or 6 K today on a 64bit 8-core 16GB ram monster. (well
> monster compared to what I have right now)

Sounds like a name-brand Dell, HP, etc. Overpriced to buy and overpriced
to maintain.

> Now I'd like to just add this new box to the network as another ltsp
> server using 64 bit edubuntu or fedora+ltsp, but so far my couple of
> months with a 64 bit desktop have me thinking this might not be the best
> approach.
>
> The main problem I have is that Adobe's has yet to get off their butts
> and product a 64bit flash plugin. I know I can use the nspluginwrapper
> but it only seems to work about half the time, and when it does work,
> half the time sound doesn't.  I imagine that sound through the thin
> clients will be even more troublesome.

The solution to the flash problem is to use the 32-bit firefox and
associated components for multimedia. Then the flash player works just
fine. You will need to get the 32-bit version of xine, mplayerplug-in
and the associated requirements all in 32-bit. Happily, the 32-bit stuff
plays very nicely in a 64-bit sandbox!

You will need to tinker and make pulseaudio run on the server so that
flash will be happy.

> The other option I have is to load centos5.1 or ubuntu 8.04 on the new
> server and something like vmware server to slice it up with 4 or so
> 32bit guests.

Load up K12LTSP-EL v. 5.1 (Centos based) and use the 64-bit version so
you can use directly the full 16GB RAM. Don't bother with the vmware
slices as it won't get you anything of benefit.

> That second option seems like a waste of resources, but it may give me
> less headaches.
>
> Surely there are other ltsp users in the same boat right now?
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Luis

James P. Kinney III