[K12OSN] 64 bit ltsp vs. virtualization

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Tue Jun 24 08:22:30 UTC 2008

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> There is a dramatic change in speed between the apps compiled for
> 64bit
> and 32bit. I'd suggest to run as much 64bit software as possible to
> gain
> full advantage of the server. The 64bit kernel alone is going to
> make a
> huge difference - direct memory access, faster script and utilities
> execution add up very quickly. Look at your most frequently used
> apps and
> try to run them in 64bit executables - Firefox excluded, because of
> the
> plugins and crashing problems.

If 64-bit Firefox with nspluginwrapper and 32-bit Flash and Java
crashes, then why would I want to run it? Because it crashes fast?
Firefox is probably the most frequently used app on our LTSP server,
but I think we're going to run the 32-bit version because of the
problems with plugins.

Nils Breunese.