Re: [K12OSN] 64 bit ltsp vs. virtualization

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

There is a dramatic change in speed between the apps compiled for 64bit and 32bit. I'd suggest to run as much 64bit software as possible to gain full advantage of the server. The 64bit kernel alone is going to make a
huge difference - direct memory access, faster script and utilities
execution add up very quickly. Look at your most frequently used apps and try to run them in 64bit executables - Firefox excluded, because of the
plugins and crashing problems.

If 64-bit Firefox with nspluginwrapper and 32-bit Flash and Java crashes, then why would I want to run it? Because it crashes fast? Firefox is probably the most frequently used app on our LTSP server, but I think we're going to run the 32-bit version because of the problems with plugins.

Nils Breunese.