Re: [K12OSN] 64 bit ltsp vs. virtualization

Luis Montes wrote:
James P. Kinney III wrote:
Load up K12LTSP-EL v. 5.1 (Centos based) and use the 64-bit version so
you can use directly the full 16GB RAM. Don't bother with the vmware
slices as it won't get you anything of benefit.

My only problem with K12ltsp-el is that it's still based on ltsp4. All of the cool new development is happening on ltsp 5. I've been using edubuntu for the last year, and k12ltsp for the 5 years or so before that. I still like redhat based distros better and edubuntu was rough around the edges (at least as of 7.04), but the fedora/centos ltsp5 versions still seem to be in their infancy. I'm just volunteering so I can only do upgrades over the summer. Hopefully I can be back on fedora or centos next summer.

You can run LTSP 5 on CentOS. I believe the way it works is you download the chroot environment for Ubuntu and install it in the /opt tree of a CentOS system. That technically provides an Ubuntu kernel and low-level OS to the thin clients, but then it displays a CentOS system and that's what the users get. There's a guy on the ltsp-discuss list who does this.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.