[K12OSN] 64 bit ltsp vs. virtualization

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Tue Jun 24 11:13:42 UTC 2008

Luis Montes wrote:
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>> Load up K12LTSP-EL v. 5.1 (Centos based) and use the 64-bit version so
>> you can use directly the full 16GB RAM. Don't bother with the vmware
>> slices as it won't get you anything of benefit.
>
> My only problem with K12ltsp-el is that it's still based on ltsp4. All
> of the cool new development is happening on ltsp 5.
> I've been using edubuntu for the last year, and k12ltsp for the 5  years
> or so before that. I still like redhat based distros better and edubuntu
> was rough around the edges (at least as of 7.04), but   the
> fedora/centos ltsp5 versions still seem to be in their infancy.
> I'm just volunteering so I can only do upgrades over the summer.
> Hopefully I can be back on fedora or centos next summer.

You can run LTSP 5 on CentOS.  I believe the way it works is you
download the chroot environment for Ubuntu and install it in the /opt
tree of a CentOS system.  That technically provides an Ubuntu kernel and
low-level OS to the thin clients, but then it displays a CentOS system
and that's what the users get.  There's a guy on the ltsp-discuss list
who does this.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.