[K12OSN] Local apps- how many here are running local apps

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Sat Mar 1 16:05:08 UTC 2008

Hello List,

I was wanting to find out how many school settings are using local apps in
each school or by room or by workstation. I have been considering giving
this a shot " just to try it" now that our old pentium 1's**( from k12ltsp
v.1 days) mannny moons ago, have been upgraded:) I have read several
little caveats and or gotchas when running local apps as well.
Reason I am asking I would really like to get Google Earth usable on all
the thin clients as this would be a big shot in the arm to "promote" the
thin client setup. Of course when starting GoogelEarth on the thin clients
I have tried on briefly I get the " running in OpenGL mode it will be
super slow yada yada",,,,which it is.
I think the GoogleEarth thing has been hashed out before but I could
search/find anything on it as far as TC resolves. Maybe there is a
simple/easy fix?
I'm guessing trying to run GE is about like trying to run
Celestia,,,slooooww,,,even on a standalone high end box!

Thanks,

Barry Cisna