[K12OSN] Question for a serious problem I have.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Mar 1 17:46:55 UTC 2008

That is a fault with the current scheme of LTSP. If a student/user gets
client abruptly, then there is no logout event that occurs and thus
"gone - no logout" messages.

As for your security issue, to my knowledge, there is no definitive way
to prove what student had their hands on the keys that generated the
email. However, the email headers will give solid clues for the account
source as well as detailed tracking times. This can be correlated with
login time to determine a range of times the email was sent from which
machine and thus narrow down the identity of the sender.

But as far as generating a "smoking gun" evidence trail, there isn't one
as for the current K12LTSP setup unless everyone is required to use a
real username/password scheme and is required to change passwords often
enough that a shoulder lurker would be foiled.
On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 21:32 -0500, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope everyone is well.
>
> I am running K12LTSP based on Fedora Core 6.  Ever since I did a clean
> install to this version, I have had the problem with the 'last'
> command.  Previously, "last -n 20" would show me the last 20 users who
> logged into the system, as well as the time they logged in and out.
> However, with this install the whenever I run the command I get, for
> everyone the following:
>
> student1              ws220.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 13:01    gone - no logout
> student2              ws220.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:55    gone - no logout
> student3              ws199.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:20    gone - no logout
> student4              ws199.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:20    gone - no logout
> student5              ws216.ltsp:0     Sun Feb 24 12:17    gone - no logout
>

> The problem, as you can see, is that no matter what time they log out,
> the system will show them as gone - no logout.  This never used to
> happen until this version.  It doesn't matter if the person was logged
> in for 3 minutes, 30 minutes, or 3 hours - they will always show as
> gone - no logout.
>
> My problem now is that we have a student who is being considered for
> suspension from the school due to an email he sent to a girl.  The
> parents want the student gone as the letter was extremely upsetting
> and inappropriate.  There were several people in the lab at the time
> the email was sent, but they all left and logged out at different
> times.  I need to be able to show who was still in the lab at the time
> the email was sent.  Thus this problem is a major one.
>
> My question is - how can I get the last command to correctly show the
> time they logged out?
>
> Thank you.
> Joseph

James P. Kinney III