[K12OSN] firewall question

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Sun Mar 2 00:05:45 UTC 2008

Sounds like someone is using your "server a" to do a port scan on port 22.  That means somebody logged into "server a" is trying to find out which other computers on the network (or on the internet) are accepting ssh connections.  This could be one of your legitimate local users, or it could be that someone on the internet managed to log into your "server a" (via ssh or other means).  It could be that someone is trying to break into other computers using your "server a", or it could be a legitimate use of a port scanner.  For instance, I use port scanners on my local network when DNS fails and I need to ssh into one of my other machines.  I scan the entire network for port 22, and try each machine that has that port open.

Whether you need a firewall or not is determined by your network setup.  If your server is protected from the internet by another firewall, then it might not make sense to run a local firewall on your server.  If the server's purpose is to server file shares to the entire network, then make sure NFS and/or Samba are the only services running.  If you do this, then a firewall would only block ports that aren't open anyway, which means the firewall isn't adding any protection.

-Rob