[K12OSN] Fl_Teachertool Distribute File Problem

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:20:15 UTC 2008

Nick Fenger wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Per your questions:
>
> I do have visudo per the docs and all of the other teachertool features work
> for non-roots.
>
> As far as accessing homes is concerned, it is not only a teachertool
> problem. When I log directly into the k12ltsp server (i.e. start a Gnome
> session) and open File Browser I can see all of the mounted home directory
> names but I cannot list or access the files. It is as if root on my local
> box is not really acting as root?

You don't state how the home directories are mounted (NFS or SMB) from
the LDAP/file server. Could the home directories be NFS mounted with the
"root_squash" export directive? Alternatively if SMB is in use, what
rights has Samba  given the user "root" on others home shares? I suspect
that while "root"  is really the superuser on your LTSP server, that it
doesn't appear that way on the file server and that you may need to
adjust ownership/permissions  to fix the situation.

> Does the teachertool distribute feature need root access to homes even if
> you are running is as a non-root user? (see below for clarification of my
> problem).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Nick

                         - Mark Twain

| John Lucas            MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802  http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W          AST (UTC-4)                         |