[K12OSN] How to change own user password

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 12:12:24 UTC 2008

Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> Does this work for non-root users? When I tried something similar in the
> pass only root could change passwords. It seemed that users could change
> their own passwds, but they never actually changed. Maybe it was the way
> smbldap was set up. It thought that a way around this would be to make a
> script that runs sudo that calls the smbldap passwd script. all users
> would need sudo rights to run just the script.

It works for me. If only root can change passwords, then you may need to
check our your LDAP configuration to make sure that the password
attributes (all 3 of them) are writeable by the user. A simple ACL
*similar* to this should work:

# basic password protection -jrl
access to attrs=userpassword,sambaLMpassword,sambaNTpassword
    by dn="uid=root,ou=Users,dc=ascs,dc=net" write
    by self write
    by * auth

access to *
    by dn="uid=root,ou=Users,dc=ascs,dc=net" write
    by * read