[K12OSN] Small, Current Linux build

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Mar 14 04:51:41 UTC 2008

Dan wrote:

> Using Centos and Wireless is a bit of a chore even at 5.1, so I can't
> even imagine what it is like at 3.  we had an older P2 that we were
> playing with and I had installed the light version of PCLinux(minime)
> and it seemed to work well.
> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=38535.0

Depends, I suppose, on which wireless card it is.  I did some Googling,
and it turns out that the IBM ThinkPad 600E's didn't come with built-in
wireless NIC's.  But they do have PCMCIA slots.  I'm assuming here that
your wireless NIC's are PCMCIA.

We need to know which wireless chipset is in the NIC's that are
installed in those machines.  "lspci" should be helpful in this regard.
Also, we need to know whether they're 802.11b or 802.11g cards.
Virtually all 802.11b cards are supported in Linux 2.4.  However, with
802.11g, I'd make sure I stayed with Ralink or Realtek only.  Since
their programming specs are open, those two chipset families tend to be
very well supported by Free Software (unlike that Broadcom crap).

--TP