[K12OSN] FreeNX and web companion

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Thu Mar 27 20:29:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:16:26AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Brian Chivers wrote:

> >>What web companion thingy?
> >>

> >Allows you to access the FreeNX server through a web browser so there is
> >no client to install.
>
> I haven't had a chance to try this yet but the usual difference is that
> the NX commercial server always uses the same ssh key for the nx user's
> initial connection where freenx creates a new one when installed.  So
> somewhere there should be a place where you have to make the client key
> match the one on your server.

You can also run:

nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key

and this will install the default nomachine key on the server, meaning that configuring the clients will be somewhat easier.  I recommend doing this on a small LAN, but not for an nx server that's accessible over the internet.  Using a custom key (as freenx on CentOS does) helps prevent a man-in-the-middle attack.

-Rob