[K12OSN] Local apps- how many here are running local apps

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 17:44:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Barry Cisna <cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
>  I was wanting to find out how many school settings are using local apps in
>  each school or by room or by workstation. I have been considering giving
>  this a shot " just to try it" now that our old pentium 1's**( from k12ltsp
>  v.1 days) mannny moons ago, have been upgraded:) I have read several
>  little caveats and or gotchas when running local apps as well.

Right now most who run local apps are running 100% local apps. So it's
either 100% server (regular ltsp) or 100% local. There is work being
done to be able to split the load but that is still in development. I
think Eric mentioned this a while ago.

If you have powerful clients. Which btw are very cheap now. Total cost
for a complete diskless client (MB, CPU, RAM, CASE/PS minus monitor)
is about $200. You can use them with this how-to

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients

although I have not done this I know of others who have. Namely,
Kamloops school district uses a very similar setup. They however,
setup a vserver vps (you can use OpenVZ too) to run the client chroot
for security reasons. I know they can run 3D apps like GE,
Beryl/Compiz and video like mplayer playing a DVD file for all users
concurently with no lag.

Personally, I think this is where ltsp is headed since the cheapest
systems today are SO much more powerful than say 5 years ago and they
are only getting faster. Case in point, my dual Xeon ltsp server
(approx $350/cpu) which I purchased 4 years ago is slower than a $70
dual core cpu today. That's an order of magniture cheaper for a FASTER
cpu, in only 4 years.

--
Robert Arkiletian