[K12OSN] Re: flash load

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Mar 6 03:35:53 UTC 2008

Sean Harbour wrote:
> Scott, you mentioned you were having problems with poor performance with
> flash on thin clients. Were you able to investigate running flash
> locally on the thin clients instead of the server? I'd be very
> interested in what you discovered. I would expect that some of thin
> clients available would be resource starved to the point it would not
> work very well, but I suspect quite a few would be just fine, and it
> certainly scales well. Here's a link that mentions this specific issue.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ltsp-Local-Apps

Well, the wiki above was only a plan.  It is more possible with LTSP5,
but it was not successfully implemented in gutsy.  I think that there
are plans to get it right with Hardy, but I have no idea what the status
is.  I am sure that more development help and testing would be useful.

As Les alluded to in the thread about imaging, the really impressive
potential with LTSP5 is the ability to blend running local apps with
thin clients rather transparently.  Furthermore, because the image
served to the clients is just that, an image blown up at boot, it is
more possible to create various images depending on clients, needs, etc.

--scott