[K12OSN] Fl_Teachertool Distribute File Problem - RESOLVED

Nick Fenger nick at trilliumcharterschool.org
Thu Mar 6 18:30:56 UTC 2008

I just modified my /etc/exports on the LDAP server (using Webmin) and added
the "root_squash" directive. This has fixed the problem.

Thank you all for your help!

Regards,

Nick Fenger

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:20 AM, John Lucas <mrjohnlucas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick Fenger wrote:
> > Robert,
> >
> > Per your questions:
> >
> > I do have visudo per the docs and all of the other teachertool features
> work
> > for non-roots.
> >
> > As far as accessing homes is concerned, it is not only a teachertool
> > problem. When I log directly into the k12ltsp server (i.e. start a Gnome
> > session) and open File Browser I can see all of the mounted home
> directory
> > names but I cannot list or access the files. It is as if root on my
> local
> > box is not really acting as root?
> >

> You don't state how the home directories are mounted (NFS or SMB) from
> the LDAP/file server. Could the home directories be NFS mounted with the
> "root_squash" export directive? Alternatively if SMB is in use, what
> rights has Samba  given the user "root" on others home shares? I suspect
> that while "root"  is really the superuser on your LTSP server, that it
> doesn't appear that way on the file server and that you may need to
> adjust ownership/permissions  to fix the situation.
>

> > Does the teachertool distribute feature need root access to homes even
> if
> > you are running is as a non-root user? (see below for clarification of
> my
> > problem).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Nick

Trillium Charter School
MS Advisor
Math & Technology Teacher
Technology Coordinator

www.trilliumcharterschool.org

Trillium Charter School is democratically-structured environment that
fosters students' natural curiosity, creativity, and self-awareness.
Students learn to take initiative and assume responsibility for their own
learning, which supports constructive interaction with the local, regional,
and global community.