[K12OSN] Re: flash load

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Mar 7 05:20:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:35:53 -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote
> Sean Harbour wrote:
> > Scott, you mentioned you were having problems with poor performance with
> > flash on thin clients. Were you able to investigate running flash
> > locally on the thin clients instead of the server? I'd be very
> > interested in what you discovered. I would expect that some of thin
> > clients available would be resource starved to the point it would not
> > work very well, but I suspect quite a few would be just fine, and it
> > certainly scales well. Here's a link that mentions this specific issue.
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ltsp-Local-Apps
> >

> Well, the wiki above was only a plan.  It is more possible with LTSP5,
> but it was not successfully implemented in gutsy.  I think that there
> are plans to get it right with Hardy, but I have no idea what the status
> is.  I am sure that more development help and testing would be useful.
>
> As Les alluded to in the thread about imaging, the really impressive
> potential with LTSP5 is the ability to blend running local apps with
> thin clients rather transparently.  Furthermore, because the image
> served to the clients is just that, an image blown up at boot, it is
> more possible to create various images depending on clients, needs, etc.
>
> --scott

I know that at the last UDS Scott Balnaeves and a few others successfully ran a proof of
concept with LTSP5 and a client running Firefox locally.  But this was just a proof of
concept as many other factors still need to be figured out such as how to access local
devices and tie into the file system on the server and such.  But it was good to know
that they made progress.  I doubt it will even make it to Hardy, but if Hardy goes
smooth and there aren't a ton of bugs to fix for the next version I'm sure this will be
slated for Hardy +1.

Jim