[K12OSN] YouTube crashes Firefox

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 17:07:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
>  FYI. I have Googled Firefox forums on this and no luck. Has anyone here
>  figured out a good workaround for thin clients that when trying to view
>  YouTube videos it crashes Firefox? I would guess on these clients 2 out
>  of 10 times Firefoxes crashes/closes when trying to view various YouTube
>  videos.
>  This is the Ebox2300/128mb onboard ram. We are tickled to death with
>  these other than this snafoo. I have the following lines in the lts.conf
>  file for these clients.:
>  X4_MODULE_03     =  glx
>  USE_NBD_SWAP     =   Y
>
>  I have tried with and without the USE_NBD_SWAP  = Y and this seems to
>  make no better,no worse.( this was a suggestion in a similar scenario at
>  a Firefox forum for crashes FF when viewing videos).This happens with
>  both the stock FF v1.5.0 and FF v2.0.0.2 .

Hi Barry,
I don't think it's a memory issue. In my opinion this is a flash
issue. I have also experienced it. This is what I have noticed.

flash version 48 is more stable and uses less resources than 115,
however it has security issues. Gnash JUST released version 0.8.2
beta. I tried installing Gnash but was unsuccessful due to failed
dependecies because I am still using k12ltsp 4EL. So I'm stuck using
flash 48.

One more thing, Opera 9.26 (stable) won't work with flash 115.
However, Opera 9.5 (beta) does support flash 115 (even 64 bit Opera
9.5 supports the 32 bit flash plugin). Seems Adobe built flash 115 to
have some custom hooks for Firefox so the Opera people had to work
around it.

Basically this whole situation continues to stink because of flash.
It's the one non-open source code that everyone has to have. I wish
the Gnash developers the best of luck. We are all depending on them.

Could anyone who has tried Gnash 0.8.2 beta let us know how well it now works?

--
Robert Arkiletian