[K12OSN] Do we need to spread the message?

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu May 1 20:50:20 UTC 2008

ahodson at elp.rr.com wrote:
> Hi list members
>
> I find myself having to write more and more letters to software makers that are not addressing the growing need for Linux/Java portals for their web-based software... Am I alone here?

You are not alone.  I've written a few myself.  Usually, I'm
told--somewhat politely--to go jump in the river.  So, I simply avoid
that product.  That's one big reason why I'm celebrating that my
employer no longer uses BMC's "Magic" trouble-ticket system (IE-only).
We switched to something that is Firefox-friendly.  Even Cisco is
starting, slowly, to see the light.

Actually, most things that need to be done can also be done with
cross-platform JavaScript.  This would eliminate the need for a Java VM
in the first place.

--TP