[K12OSN] Best Web server distro....what is it?

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Fri May 2 21:54:25 UTC 2008

David Trask wrote:

> A power outage today finally killed one of my web
> servers....primarily the
> hard drive.  Luckily it wasn't serving a whole lot, but it did house
> a lot
> of files that I had uploaded via FTP for "safe-keeping".  As you may
> guess, my backup wasn't any good either.  Nonetheless, I've put in a
> new
> HD and want to press it back into service.  I was running SME server
> on it
> and it was running great for about 4+ years.  I'm looking for any
> other
> possibilities.  Simple, quick, dirty, and free (FOSS).  Simple Linux
> web
> server....any suggestions?

Just use whatever you're comfortable with and has a couple of years of
security updates. If you don't want to spend any money you probably
want CentOS, Ubuntu LTS or Debian. If SME is still alive that is
probably fine as well, since that's based on CentOS AFAIK. There isn't
any fundamental difference in Apache on those different distributions.

Nils Breunese.