[K12OSN] Best Web server distro....what is it?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat May 3 16:35:53 UTC 2008

Paul Satherley wrote:

>> If SME server did what you needed without modifications, grab a
>> current copy from www.contribs.org.  It still works and is based on a
>> still-supported centos.   But... you really should something running
>> backuppc on a raid-mirrored filesystem to take care of that for you.
>>
> I have two SME sites running LTSP loaded onto the server as well 10
> windows xp clients and 6 ltsp clients boot from SME
>
> as per here  SME7.3 + Gnome 2.16 + LTSP 4.2
> <http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=35111.0>  have added
> openoffice and a few other apps.
>
> there is a "server-panel" to manage the boot images
> my server is a AMD 4600+ x2 with 4G ram  the thin clients load in blink
> of eye and are very rsponsive!
>
> best off both worlds for ltsp + domain controller + lamp  etc

I haven't paid much attention to SME server for a while, although I
still have one running as a small email server.  I always thought what
it needed to integrate with ltsp was to have its user management hooked
to LDAP and NFS to export home directories - with other servers doing
the actual ltsp booting.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com