[K12OSN] root-path message

Marc Fromm Marc.Fromm at wwu.edu
Mon May 5 16:58:48 UTC 2008

Sometimes the systems boot just fine and other times they fail and
display the following message:

Error no 'root-path' received from DHCP
Possible causes:
1. dhcpd.conf file doesn't include 'option root-path' entry
2. multiple DHCP servers Client receivd offer from wrong one

1. The option root-path is set in the "dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf" file. I was
told to use the "dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf" and not the actual "dhcpd.conf"
file.
There is a valid IP address in the line. I removed for this email.
option root-path              "###.###.###.###:/opt/ltsp/i386";

2. There is another DHCP service running on campus for user's windows XP
desktops to receive an IP address. If the boot error is due to
contacting the "wrong" dhcp service, then how can it be prevented in an
environment where workstations are dhcp as well?

In my "dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf" file I have commented out the "range
dynamic-bootp" line so that the windows workstations do not get an IP
from the LTSP server, which they were until I did comment the "range
dynamic-bootp" line.

Marc