[K12OSN] State of K12LTSP usefullness in your school

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 12 00:53:03 UTC 2008

OK, I'll take a stab at this.  :-)

My district is fully, totally, committed to being a Microsoft shop.  On
the desktop, they don't want to hear anything about Linux, don't want to
talk about it, don't want to see it.  This is from top to bottom.

The excuse about training and support always comes up, usually from
scared MCSE's.  The conversation goes roughly like this:

Them:  "Hey, is that Vista you're running on that laptop?"
Me:  "Nope, it's Ubuntu Linux."
Them:  "Oh...yeah, Linux sounds cool 'n' all, but who's gonna support it?
Me:  "The same people who are supporting the Windows desktops today."
Them:  "OK, who's gonna pay for the training?"
Me:  "Same folks who pay for their Windows training now."
Them:  just turn and walk away in total dismissal.

Now, note that I didn't initiate this conversation.  They, the desktop
Windows support staff (or their bosses), did upon seeing my laptop.
They consider me the "Linux fanatic," and we have a good laugh about
it.  However, anything like K12LTSP is completely, absolutely, out of
the question.

On the server side, things are somewhat different.  In 2005, the Powers
That Be began to grudgingly tolerate RHEL in the data center, and it's
use has slowly increased over time due to certain server apps that we
run.  Some of our Oracle databases , for example, increasingly run on
RHEL.  Our network monitoring systems and syslog/NetFlow boxes run on
RHEL and CentOS.  Same with the app we use to manage our thousands of
Wireless Access Points; that runs on top of CentOS.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!