[K12OSN] ltsp, subnets, dhcpd.conf

Cody Grosskopf cgrossko at wusd.org
Tue May 20 18:55:43 UTC 2008

You can also specify the thin clients by the mac address in the
dhcpd.conf for example:

host stu13 {
        hardware ethernet 00:80:64:6C:3A:4E;
        fixed-address 10.20.100.13;
}

Just make sure that you DO NOT specify a range in the dhcpd.conf file
and you should be able to workaround having an authoritative DHCP server
as well as the DHCP server for LTSP on the same subnet.

>>> Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org> 05/20/08 11:49 AM >>>
You should be fine...

put eth1 as 192.168.3.XYZ  and leave eth0 as the default LTSP
192.168.0.254...

since all of the thin-clients see the internet NAT'd through
192.168.3.XYZ you should be fine.

--Huck

Will Hatch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'll do my best to explain my issue.  I've successfully installed
k12ltsp in the past.  That was when I was at a small school, with my
cable modem sitting beside my desk.  I didn't have to worry about
subnets, or changing the dhcpd.conf file.  Here is my current situation:

> This is a three-building school district.  The internet is piped into
the high school, where we have a Sonicwall firewall set up.  The high
school used subnets 0,1, and 2.  My building uses 3.  The central office
uses 4 and 5.

> I can't find any documentation that says what I have to do exactly, in
a case like mine.  All the computers in my building use a subnet of .3.
I have Edubuntu with ltsp installed, I have a universal boot floppy
written for clients.  But I know I have to do something to configuration
files to get clients to boot.

> Thanks
> Will
>
> ***********************************
> PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including
attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain
proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you're not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and
delete this communication and destroy all copies.
> It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race,
color, national origin, gender, disability, or gender orientation in its
educational programs or activities, or in its employment policies as
required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, by Section 504
of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act
of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.