[K12OSN] Virtualized Windows on K12LTSP

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sat May 24 14:26:41 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I have a pretty beefy K12LTSP 5EL 64-bit server setup with about 10
thin clients attached. This is working fine, but there is one legacy
Windows application my users need. I kept a couple of Windows XP
installations around which they can use for this application, but I'd
like to get rid of those machines. There have been some attempts at
getting the application to work under Wine, but no luck so far.

I'm thinking of setting up a virtual Windows XP machine on the K12LTSP
server. The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a quad-core Intel
Xeon E5320 1.86 GHz (which supports Intel's VT virtualization
extension) and 4 GB RAM. What virtualization method would people
recommend for doing this? KVM, QEMU (+kqemu/qvm86), VirtualBox, VMware
Server, Xen? I think Xen is the only method that's available from the
K12LTSP/CentOS repositories, right? Plus it's open source. I have used
VMware Server on a desktop machine in the past for testing.

Is anybody else running a virtual Windows installation on K12LTSP? How
did you go about this?

Thanks,

Nils Breunese.