[K12OSN] Virtualized Windows on K12LTSP

Conrad Lawes pxeboot at gmail.com
Sat May 24 21:29:00 UTC 2008

All the VMMs  you mentioned are capable of running Windows XP.    You can't
go wrong with  vmware, though. Its well proven and well supported.
Virtualbox is also a suitable solution though  host network  bridging
requires a little bit of elbow grease.  QEMU, IMHO, is still a work in
progress.   Not sure how well Xen supports Windows but I've read that it
works.

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Nils Breunese <nils at breun.nl> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a pretty beefy K12LTSP 5EL 64-bit server setup with about 10 thin
> clients attached. This is working fine, but there is one legacy Windows
> application my users need. I kept a couple of Windows XP installations
> around which they can use for this application, but I'd like to get rid of
> those machines. There have been some attempts at getting the application to
> work under Wine, but no luck so far.
>
> I'm thinking of setting up a virtual Windows XP machine on the K12LTSP
> server. The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a quad-core Intel Xeon
> E5320 1.86 GHz (which supports Intel's VT virtualization extension) and 4 GB
> RAM. What virtualization method would people recommend for doing this? KVM,
> QEMU (+kqemu/qvm86), VirtualBox, VMware Server, Xen? I think Xen is the only
> method that's available from the K12LTSP/CentOS repositories, right? Plus
> it's open source. I have used VMware Server on a desktop machine in the past
> for testing.
>
> Is anybody else running a virtual Windows installation on K12LTSP? How did
> you go about this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nils Breunese.

Regards,