[K12OSN] vnc access via web browser

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri May 30 14:45:52 UTC 2008

Has anyone setup vnc access to a server via web browser using the java client
that vnc provides?  I've got the stock "vnc-server launched via xinetd tied into
gdm", so that a user with a dedicated vnc client can just point the client at
the server, port 5900-5905 (each port being a different resolution), and get the
gdm login screen (thanks for this brilliant bit of packaging, Eric).  But I'd
like to further simplify the process by also making access available via browser
using the java client pieces.  I've seen examples online of /etc/xinetd.d/vncts
files showing not just the parts launching Xvnc for port 5900-5905, but also
launching 'vnc_inetd_httpd' for ports 5800-5805.  But I don't have, on my
K12LTSP-EL5/CentOS5 box, any such file.  The RealVNC website mentions that their
package, which I think is the one CentOS uses, includes a small webserver for
providing access via the java client, but doesn't say much about what the actual
file is.  Any suggestions?

Peter