[K12OSN] Adobe finally releasing Flash specs w/o NDA

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri May 2 14:35:00 UTC 2008

It seems that we have Microsoft to thank for something very beneficial
to our cause....

Adobe has announced, just yesterday, the free use of the Flash specs to
create Flash players, something which, as we all know, they absolutely
forbade up until then.  Before, you could make Flash file *creators*,
like OpenOffice.org does, but not Flash file *readers* without
reverse-engineering.

Now that the Gnash project has access to the specs, we may be free of
the "Adobe curse" soon, especially with LTSP deployments.  Teachers will
have one less "big gun" to whine about LTSP with.  Here's the
announcement from Adobe themselves.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200804/050108AdobeOSP.html

Who do we have to thank?  Yep, competition from Microsoft's
Silverlight.  Pure and simple.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate