[K12OSN] The new Ubuntu 8.04 server

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Fri May 2 20:00:33 UTC 2008

Hi, guys.

Sorry to have been so aloof for so long.  I don't have this listserv set
up in such an easily accessible way, atm.  But, I thought I'd post some
instructions for all those using the SYM1110 or SYM1112 on Hardy.

The Geode GX2 chipset has issues with ubuntu's usplash.  So, the splash
screen needs to be turned off:

sudo sed -i -e
's/splash//' /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default

Also, even with the driver improvements that we've made on the Geode -
which have been both for the LX and GX2 chipsets, these chipsets are
very much dependent on the BIOS.  As it happens, some BIOSes lie about
their configurations to the OS and claim to have an internal LCD panel
when they do not.  The driver uses different timings if there is a
panel.  So, to get the right timings for the video modes that you want,
we recommend the following lts.conf params on LTSP5:

X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
X_OPTION_01 = "\"NoPanel\" \"true\""

I hope that explains things well enough.  The 16-bit color depth ensures
you can get the highest possible mode (and is thin client friendlier).
Since the issue of the lying BIOS is not the driver's fault, it would be
wrong of us to include something in upstream that would disable the
panel regardless of what the BIOS says.

In terms of the bootsplash, it is on the board as something to address,
because everybody likes a nice bootsplash.  :)

Cheers,

-Gideon

PS:  I am crawling back into my hole, so please no offense if I am not
heard from for some time.  :)