Re: [K12OSN] Best Web server distro....what is it?

David Trask wrote:

A power outage today finally killed one of my web servers....primarily the hard drive. Luckily it wasn't serving a whole lot, but it did house a lot
of files that I had uploaded via FTP for "safe-keeping".  As you may
guess, my backup wasn't any good either. Nonetheless, I've put in a new HD and want to press it back into service. I was running SME server on it and it was running great for about 4+ years. I'm looking for any other possibilities. Simple, quick, dirty, and free (FOSS). Simple Linux web
server....any suggestions?

Just use whatever you're comfortable with and has a couple of years of security updates. If you don't want to spend any money you probably want CentOS, Ubuntu LTS or Debian. If SME is still alive that is probably fine as well, since that's based on CentOS AFAIK. There isn't any fundamental difference in Apache on those different distributions.

Nils Breunese.