[K12OSN] Best Web server distro....what is it?

Paul Satherley pauls at tclcommunications.co.nz
Sat May 3 04:14:59 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> David Trask wrote:
>> A power outage today finally killed one of my web
>> servers....primarily the
>> hard drive.  Luckily it wasn't serving a whole lot, but it did house
>> a lot
>> of files that I had uploaded via FTP for "safe-keeping".  As you may
>> guess, my backup wasn't any good either.  Nonetheless, I've put in a new
>> HD and want to press it back into service.  I was running SME server
>> on it
>> and it was running great for about 4+ years.  I'm looking for any other
>> possibilities.  Simple, quick, dirty, and free (FOSS).  Simple Linux web
>> server....any suggestions?
>
> If SME server did what you needed without modifications, grab a
> current copy from www.contribs.org.  It still works and is based on a
> still-supported centos.   But... you really should something running
> backuppc on a raid-mirrored filesystem to take care of that for you.

I have two SME sites running LTSP loaded onto the server as well 10
windows xp clients and 6 ltsp clients boot from SME

as per here  SME7.3 + Gnome 2.16 + LTSP 4.2
<http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=35111.0>  have added
openoffice and a few other apps.

there is a "server-panel" to manage the boot images

my server is a AMD 4600+ x2 with 4G ram  the thin clients load in blink
of eye and are very rsponsive!

best off both worlds for ltsp + domain controller + lamp  etc

cheers
Paul S.