Re: [K12OSN] Excessive collisions cripple network -- Suggestions for solutions?

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  If you're looking for
just *one* switch, specifically for a K12LTSP lab, then you can go with
pretty much any of the managed switches below.

On the other hand, it sounds from your initial email like your site has
a "cobbled-together" network infrastructure consisting of CompUSA-grade
mini-switch devices.  If I were you, I'd be looking at a wholesale
upgrade of the wiring closets.  That's what we did in my district.  We
got rid of all the Synoptic LattisHubs and other substandard gear like
that and put in some decent gear.  We have emphatically not regretted it.

Catalyst switches are definitely good stuff, though they are definitely
expensive...if you buy them new.  If I were you, I'd get on eBay and
have a look for the Catalyst 3550, the 48-port version, and make sure
you get the two GBICs along with it.  They very often can be had for
less than US $1,000.

I used to recommend Amer.com's SR48G2i (US $995).  Unfortunately, not
only do they not make that model anymore, but I've also found that the
company is somewhat less than trustworthy.  They made promises to us
that, once they thought they had our money, they demonstrated no
willingness to keep.

Dell sells some moderately-priced managed switches.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com