[K12OSN] State of K12LTSP usefullness in your school

Patrick Fleming k12ltsp at rwcinc.net
Thu May 15 14:23:45 UTC 2008

Barry R Cisna wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I pose this question about once a year to all the K12LTSP'ers on the
> list here. I'd like to know,especially the newer people on the list
> here,how your admins think, when you mention,about the K12ltsp setup in
> a school setting.
As the admin for a small business I run K12LTSP. When we opened the
doors in 2003 we had numerous discussions regarding the security of MS
Windows vs. Linux and all agreed that we trust Linux more. Although MS
Windows is required for some of our software we settled on a K12LTSP
installation. Ease of use, low maintenance and the ability to run on far
less expensive hardware helped make the choice an easy one. We bought a
fairly decent Vision server and three $199.00 Linpsire clients online.

In the beginning we ran our MS Windows dependent software under VMWare,
although it had memory limitations. We eventually added a Windows 2003
server with enough CALs that we could run our software using Terminal
Services. Although most software runs fine with Terminal Services it's
hard to get technical support for the configuration from software
vendors. Most vendors expect to have software installed locally or in a
Client Server environment and the (Windows) TS configuration doesn't
"compute".

Except for my OS upgrades or the occasional power outage we have no
downtime. K12LTSP is solid.