[K12OSN] [Informative] Just though to share this

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sun May 18 04:19:46 UTC 2008

Not directly relevant but many may be facing similar situation. This
is for work on server not the client - yet!
I had been struggling to run a vendor supplied program under wine. The
device which is controlled by this program connects with USB (or
Serial) cable as my laptop only has USB port. The problem was which
that the program allowed me the choice of COM1~COM3. Ultimately I was
able to get the whole thin working with a simple hack of linking the
/dev/ttyUSB0 to COM3 with a simple:

ln -sf /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/COM3
(note the "." before wine)

The device was recongnised as COM3 in the program under windows and
one more reason to chuck that almost useless partition was added. Two
more to go

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar