Re: [K12OSN] OT: Query - Top Five Laptops

For student laptops, you really want hardware that's going to work out of the box.  I've found over the years that the Dell Latitudes tend to be very good with GNU/Linux, with just one major caveat.

That caveat is that you avoid two pieces of hardware like the plague, and this applies to *any* laptop:

1.)  Broadcom wireless
2.)  nVidia video

Instead, choose Intel video, and your wireless should likewise from from Intel, Ralink, or Realtek.  They just work with no fuss.  No hunting for drivers, no having to compile crap,  no third-party conflicting stuff--none of that.

And yes, Compiz Fusion works *great* with Intel video.  :-)  I have just about all the bells and whistles turned on, and it's really fun.  I make all the Windows XP/Vista users quite jealous.

--TP
Do you GNU?

ahodson elp rr com wrote:
Howdy list members -

Over the years I've belonged to this list I've come to appreciate that most members are versed not only on alternate solutions for operating systems and configurations, but also are quite knowledgeable in many other aspects of technology. With this in mind, I'd like to ask for some help on what I consider a daunting task I have at hand, namely to select the TOP FIVE LAPTOPS  that should be (because of their specs & configuration) selected as best STUDENT laptops available.

While this task could easily be "turned over" to vendors, I'd rather query the practitioners and techies who are in the fry, and who don't mind sharing. I suppose items like flash memory and built-in wireless add to a laptop desirability, but there might be other factors. Specs, vendor and cost are needed - interested in helping?