Re: [K12OSN] OT: Query - Top Five Laptops

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

2nd) Nvidia graphics.  Just works the best.

Interesting...I've found otherwise.  I run plenty of Red Hat-ish
distros, and I've tried installing nVidia's proprietary driver. It can
be a right royal pain.  By contrast, I've found that Intel video just
works out of the box, no matter what distro I pick. That's the benefit
of hardware whose specs are published NDA-free.

It's not very hard to install nVidia's proprietary driver. In Ubuntu it's a matter of checking a checkbox. Under Fedora it's a little more work (you have to add a third party repository as Fedora doesn't ship non-free software), but it generally works just fine and I don't know for sure, but nVidia graphics might perform better with things like 3D than Intel, I think. Of course, if you're a real open source fanatic you better avoid nVidia and their evil non-open source drivers.

Nils Breunese.