[K12OSN] OT: Query - Top Five Laptops

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Mon May 19 08:20:44 UTC 2008

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

>> 2nd) Nvidia graphics.  Just works the best.
>
> Interesting...I've found otherwise.  I run plenty of Red Hat-ish
> distros, and I've tried installing nVidia's proprietary driver.  It
> can
> be a right royal pain.  By contrast, I've found that Intel video just
> works out of the box, no matter what distro I pick.  That's the
> benefit
> of hardware whose specs are published NDA-free.

It's not very hard to install nVidia's proprietary driver. In Ubuntu
it's a matter of checking a checkbox. Under Fedora it's a little more
work (you have to add a third party repository as Fedora doesn't ship
non-free software), but it generally works just fine and I don't know
for sure, but nVidia graphics might perform better with things like 3D
than Intel, I think. Of course, if you're a real open source fanatic
you better avoid nVidia and their evil non-open source drivers.

Nils Breunese.