[K12OSN] OT: Query - Top Five Laptops

Vince Callaway fastxr at gmail.com
Mon May 19 15:28:34 UTC 2008

I pretty much setup the OS for people that are switching.  With ubuntu
the nvidia driver performs very well and desktop effects work better.

The desktop effects give a wow factor that people like.  It really helps
to have that to get people, especially young people interested.  With
ubuntu it is only a matter of clicking a checkbox to enable the driver.

It does not bother me that it is a proprietary driver.  Just the
opposite.  It means the company has made an investment in supporting
Linux.  I feel I should encourage the use of their products.

Another company I encourage the use of is Brother printers.  They
provide full drivers for the printers and all-in-ones.

I've installed several of the low end MFC-240c's for use as dedicated
scanners.  Right now they are on sale at frys for something like $60.
You are not going to find a scanner with a document feeder that works as
well any cheaper.  The laser printers with built in network jack are
also a real bargain.  Great for a low budget classroom.