[K12OSN] block port 80 to a single lab only, on demand(not specifically K12LTSP)

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Mon May 19 21:09:38 UTC 2008

A teacher would like to block HTTP traffic to his lab at will...

i.e. when he wants students to pay attention and actually work on
class-based stuff...

   lab -> hp procurve -> the network(including servers & gateway machines)

is there a switch out there that can block specific access ports? on a
switch-port basis?

i.e.  block all HTTP traffic on port 24(the incoming network feed)
or is this something that I would need to do at the gateway? since the
HP Procurve has it's own IP address, I could in theory block all HTTP
traffic using an iptables rule...to the switch's ip address?

The Cisco Rep that the teacher spoke with said they don't have a
specific switch that will/can do this...

--Huck