[K12OSN] ltsp, subnets, dhcpd.conf

Will Hatch whatch at anwsu.org
Tue May 20 18:40:50 UTC 2008

Thanks for the quick reply Rob.  You've focused in on one of my problems.  The dhcp is served from the high school, as is dns.  There are no plans to have dhcp served from my building.  I do have two nics installed in the Edubuntu server, because that is the way I previously did it with k12ltsp.  I'm a Educational Technology teacher, so networking is a work in progress.  If I understand correctly, you can't have a dhcp server inside of a dhcp server.  So there is nothing I can do to my Edubuntu server to make things work?

>>> Rob Owens <rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com> 05/20/08 2:34 PM >>>
If you want to have thin clients only on subnet 3, then it sounds like
you should use a single-nic setup.  This means, though, that the K12LTSP
server will be acting as the DHCP server for the entire subnet.  Make
sure that is ok, and make sure there is no other DHCP server on that
subnet.

If you set it up like this, then the K12LTSP server can be located
anywhere on your subnet and it will work.  Just make sure it's giving
out the correct IP addresses for your subnet.  Also make sure that you
define the proper gateway machine in dhcpd.conf.  It will not be the
K12LTSP server.  It will be the IP address of the Sonicwall firewall.
Now that I think of it, you'll also need to set the DNS server in
dhcpd.conf too.

-Rob

Will Hatch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'll do my best to explain my issue.  I've successfully installed k12ltsp in the past.  That was when I was at a small school, with my cable modem sitting beside my desk.  I didn't have to worry about subnets, or changing the dhcpd.conf file.  Here is my current situation:
>
> This is a three-building school district.  The internet is piped into the high school, where we have a Sonicwall firewall set up.  The high school used subnets 0,1, and 2.  My building uses 3.  The central office uses 4 and 5.
>
> I can't find any documentation that says what I have to do exactly, in a case like mine.  All the computers in my building use a subnet of .3.  I have Edubuntu with ltsp installed, I have a universal boot floppy written for clients.  But I know I have to do something to configuration files to get clients to boot.
>
> Thanks
> Will

> PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you're not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.
> It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race, color, national origin, gender, disability, or gender orientation in its educational programs or activities, or in its employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.