From: k12osn-bounces redhat com [mailto:k12osn-bounces redhat com] On
Behalf Of David Hopkins
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:03 PM
To: Support list for open source software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] CentOS + USB devices

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Marc Fromm <Marc Fromm wwu edu> wrote:
I'm setting up a new k12ltsp server. Our current server (not setup by
me) has USB printer directly attached to a client and it is setup in
CUPS using Device URI socket://finaid76:9100 since that client is
always
logged on with user account finaid76.

The lts.conf file has an entry
[finaid76]
       PRINTER_0_DEVICE        =/dev/usb/lp0
       PRINTER_0_TYPE          = U

Since there are no clear instructions with printers I am duplicating
configurations that currently work.

Ah ... a beginning point for printers is
http://www.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Printers

The 'trick' is that you need to add a DHCP reservation for each thin
client that will have a printer attached to ensure that the thin
client always has the same IP address and hostname.

For USB thumb drives, what is the Fuse group?

In looking at the latest docs for ltsp on ltsp.org's wiki, it seems
that this might not be needed.  but for my systems, I had to create a
user group called fuse and add all my users to it so that the drives
were automounted correctly. Since it worked, I've kept adding users to
this group.

Fuse should be part of the main kernel now, but if not CentOS should
be similar to
http://www.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LtspFS#Installing_FUSE_on_Fedora
_Core

Sincerely,