[K12OSN] Virtualized Windows on K12LTSP

Hello all,

I have a pretty beefy K12LTSP 5EL 64-bit server setup with about 10 thin clients attached. This is working fine, but there is one legacy Windows application my users need. I kept a couple of Windows XP installations around which they can use for this application, but I'd like to get rid of those machines. There have been some attempts at getting the application to work under Wine, but no luck so far.

I'm thinking of setting up a virtual Windows XP machine on the K12LTSP server. The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a quad-core Intel Xeon E5320 1.86 GHz (which supports Intel's VT virtualization extension) and 4 GB RAM. What virtualization method would people recommend for doing this? KVM, QEMU (+kqemu/qvm86), VirtualBox, VMware Server, Xen? I think Xen is the only method that's available from the K12LTSP/CentOS repositories, right? Plus it's open source. I have used VMware Server on a desktop machine in the past for testing.

Is anybody else running a virtual Windows installation on K12LTSP? How did you go about this?

Thanks,

Nils Breunese.