[K12OSN] Virtualized Windows on K12LTSP

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sun May 25 14:54:53 UTC 2008

I have one site, a small office, running K12LTSP-EL5, where they have one
Windows app they can't live without.  I installed VMWare Server and an XP Pro VM
and then installed the app in that.  The users then run the VMWare console to
get to the app.  I had tried, briefly, installing the app under Wine, but
something, I can't recall what, didn't work quite right; I didn't spend too much
time on tying to make it work.  Under VMWare, it's been fine, although I don't
think they ever have more than one person at a time accessing the app.  But it
does work just fine via thin client.  I'm not wild about VMWare not being in the
'free as in speech' category; but at the time, Virtual Box's networking was too
much of a pain to deal with; and I just didn't even think about Qemu at the time
(this was a while back).  If I were to do it today, I think I might try the qemu
route just because it seems less complex (but that's just speculation).

Peter