[K12OSN] dhcpd failed

Marc Fromm Marc.Fromm at wwu.edu
Wed May 28 15:33:19 UTC 2008

I am experiencing limited success with K12LTSP.
I installed K12LTSP Cent OS 5 EL from the ISO download.
In the dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf file I commented the range line and I am
setting up systems by Mac address and fixed IP address.

This system boots with no problems
host finaid70 {
  hardware ethernet 00:B0:D0:C3:0C:A6;
  fixed-address 140.160.216.111;
  filename "/lts/pxe/pxelinux.0";
}

This system begins booting.
Tail -f /var/log/messages states a "dhcpoffer" to the mac address
00:50:70:76:25:EA.
The client eventually displays ERROR! dhcpd failed!
host finaid71 {
  hardware ethernet 00:50:70:76:25:EA;
  fixed-address 140.160.216.228;
  filename "/lts/pxe/pxelinux.0";
}

The failed systems NIC as reported on during the client boot is a Rhine
II fast Ethernet. But since it is communicating with the ltsp server, I
assume the NIC is fine.

How can dhcpd fail on one system and work on the other?

Marc