[K12OSN] Dual NIC and DHCP

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sat Nov 8 19:40:47 UTC 2008

You don't want to do that.  Having two DHCP servers on the same network
will cause all kinds of problems.  With that said, if you have vlans in
the switch, you could segregate the thin clients onto the same vlan as
the LTSP server, but you need to be able to turn off the switch's DHCP
server on those same ports.  The clients are dumb, they'll have no way
to know which DHCP server is answering their request for an address,
which is why you shouldn't run two DHCP servers on the same network.  In
the LTSP servers dhcpd.conf (k12ltsp-dhcpd.conf, I think), you can tell
the DHCP server to give out addresses only to specific MAC addresses.
If you can do the same in your switch, you could arrange it so that only
the LTSP gives addresses to the clients.  But that all sounds like an
awful lot of work; I think it would be much simpler to just use two
switches, one for just the clients and the other for connecting the
server to the rest of the network.

Peter