[K12OSN] Dual NIC and DHCP

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Nov 8 19:42:04 UTC 2008

MW Rathburn wrote:
> I've installed K12LTSP (CentOS5) for evaluation.  Server has dual NIC's.
> eth0 has the default 192.168.0.254 scheme.  eth1 is static 192.168.1.25.

That should be just fine--provided, of course, that both interfaces are
on different broadcast domains.

> I have both NIC's going into the same switch/router/firewall, which gives
> out it's own DHCP in the 192.168.1.x scheme.  My questions are:

OK, which is it--the same switch, the same router, or the same
firewall?  Which one?

> When I plug in a PXE capable thin client appliance, will it know to get it's
> information from the 192.168.0.x DHCP server or the 192.168.1.x DHCP server
> (the switch/router/firewall)?  (yet to receive the appliance to test this)

That depends on how you've hooked things up (see previous question).

> Should I just use one of the NIC's and manually assign the appliance's IP
> information from the router via DHCP Reserved IP, then update the dhcpd.conf
> file, using the 192.168.1.x scheme?

Well, if your K12LTSP server's eth1 is hooked up to your router, then
you could certainly do a DHCP reservation.  I tend to prefer static
assignments, because it's just easier.  Either way, you don't need to
touch the K12LTSP server's dhcpd.conf, unless you made some custom
tweaks to it to hand out 192.168.1.x addresses.

--TP