[K12OSN] You can't have LTSP and network too

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 01:32:31 UTC 2008

2008/11/20 M Rathburn <stretchem at gmail.com>:
>> FC 9 might detect your NICs in a different order than RHEL/CENTOS.
>> The other thing to check, did you restart the computer or the
>> NetworkManger service too? The other thing you may have to do
>> first, especially on a stock install of FC 9, is to do all
>> the updates first.
>
> Yes, this was exactly the problem.  Installs of K12Linux CentOS5 configured
> the two interfaces differently from what the installs of F9 did.  ie:
> CentOS5 said eth0 was network card #1, while F9 said eth0 was network card
> #2.

In some hardware + software combinations the boards keeping getting
recognized randomly as eth0 & eth1. In such cases you can fix a
particular interface to always get recognized consistently by editing
interface file by adding hwaddr statement like:

hwaddr 00:1a:6b:6c:39:48

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.