[K12OSN] smbldap - using a separate /home file server

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Thu Nov 20 13:30:10 UTC 2008

I hadn't thought about redefining $HOME to a local resource for the few
local admins.  I'll give that some thought.

I don't want to SMB mount $HOME.  I want SMB access to $HOME from
Windows.  I'll use NFS if I want to provide $HOME to another Linux server.

Two things I failed to mention in my original post:

1)  There is no need for users to log in directly to authentication
server, so having $HOME files for them there is pointless (even if it is
just over NFS).

2)  I'm trying to package the authentication server as a virtual
machine, to be distributed to a few different companies.  So I want to
reduce its interaction/dependency on other machines.  This is why I'm
hesitant to NFS mount /home -- I'd have to specify an IP address of the
NFS server, which will be different in every installation.  I'm trying
to keep it as simple and modular as possible.

-Rob