[K12OSN] Hotmail DOA- Hotmail won't allow users to enter text in body of email

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Nov 5 17:07:08 UTC 2008

Rob Owens wrote:
> Just making sure you were using something current...
>
> I have the same system as you.  I can access www.hotmail.com and can go
> through the signup routine (but I stopped before actually creating an
> account).  I didn't get any errors.  Can you do the same on your system?
>
> Firefox on CentOS 5 is pretty current, so this seems like it's either a
> mistake / config problem or it's Microsoft singling out a particular
> browser and/or operating system that they don't want to play nice with!

I've seen intermittent problems w/ HotMail on Ubuntu Hardy Heron as
well.  Sometimes HotMail will work w/ Ubuntu's Firefox (my friend uses
Hardy), and other times it doesn't.  Same browser, same config, same
(very unclogged and very big) connection to the Internet.  She has since
switched to Gmail.

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to introduce "glitches" into HotMail
every so often.  They've done it several times before, including
breaking Windows XP compatibility with Samba (the Samba team coded
around it).  Remember that JavaScript allows you to bypass the browser
ID string and use other means to determine browser and OS (Remedy Magic
does exactly this).

--TP