[K12OSN] School board not interested in OSS

Jason Yeoman tuxnician at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 04:50:24 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I've been on the list for a few years now.  I am a computer tech who
works for the local school board who unfortunately does not embrace OS
Software.

Here in Ontario the Ministry of Education purchases licenses for
software and provides it at no cost for the schools.  There is no real
incentive to look towards OSS.  The good news that outside the board I
work for OSS is being used.  I feel for the students because they are
forced to use Microsoft Office then have to purchase it for home to do
their homework.  I would like to see Open Office and other great
software on cd for lending from the school library.  Some families
can't afford MS Office.

I find it very fustrating and difficult to get the word out.

Jason