[K12OSN] School board not interested in OSS

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Nov 8 14:26:02 UTC 2008

Harish Pillay wrote:
>> Waitasec...if the Ministry of Education is purchasing the licenses, then how
>> is it free of charge?  Where's the money coming from?
>>

> This is very typical.  For example, here in Singapore, the Ministry of Education
> has a national license to Windows and Office which means that all schools do
> not know of the real costs of using these tools.  Clever way to hide away the
> numbers.

SImilar situation here in Israel. The MOE has some "School Agreement"
whereby Regional Councils pay to MS a fee of about $2 per student (based
on the number of students, not software installations !) in the Council,
then they can install Office, MSProject, Visio, Terminal Clients, etc,
for no charge. Furthermore teachers and school administrators are
eligible for a copy of MS Office at a greatly discounted price.  It's
not made public how much the gov't actually pays MS for this arrangement.
And any mention of FOSS earns you looks like "what planet did you fall
from?"

Micha