[K12OSN] smbldap adjusting permissions from Windows - SOLVED!

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Mon Nov 17 13:42:20 UTC 2008

Almquist Burke wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2008, at 6:20 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
>
>> I was right-clicking on a folder within the share.  Are you saying that
>> attempts to change permissions on the whole share and not just that
>> folder?  If so, that would explain my problem (because my user wouldn't
>> have permission to change the whole share).  But it doesn't seem
>> intuitive.
>
>> -Rob
>

> I don't have a windows box sitting here to test with at home so I'm not
> sure if that is the case. I just remember that the last time I gave
> myself headaches setting up a PDC using samba, that you had
> permissions/users that were set by samba AND users/permissions that
> pertained to the files/folders on the filesystem themselves. They have
> to work in tandem and getting the setup correct is tricky sometimes. The
> [Printers] and [Homes] sections have pretty bullet proof defaults for
> what they do, but setting up custom shares means you have to get your
> permissions and users/groups just right for both the filesystem and
> samba. Are you using the stick bit? groups? What do you want the share
> to do? If we know exactly what access you want to give, we might be able
> to help better. ... or it might just be buggy, or that first permissions
> screen really DOES apply to the shares and not the files/folders.

I'm really just trying to provide an open share that anybody can create
a file/folder in, while enabling users to change permissions on the
files/folders that they create.  It seems to be working now, but it
seemed odd to me that I couldn't use the first permissions screen to do
it (well, it worked for files, but not folders).

Thanks for your help.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.