Rép. : Re: [K12OSN] GRUB?

Hi Mel,
Grub is a micro operating system with its own cli with command line completion.
As stated before, at the grub prompt:

1- grub > root (hd0,0)   At this moment, the disc is mounted

2-type grub > kernel /boot/TAB   this is the TAB key that invokes the command line completion and it will dump the list of possible files including the vmlinuz kernel files, choose the most logical version and complete with a short parameter list, so you should have something like:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz....  ro   root=/dev/hda1

3- do the same for the initrd:
grub> initrd /boot/TAB... with no arguments

then the great command:
grub> boot

Bonne chance.

>>> "Mel Wade" <mel melwade com> 2008-11-20 21:45:40 >>>
With only the GRUB prompt how can you determin the version you have?

2008/11/19 Manoj Kumar <manoj u kumar gmail com>
>From the grub> prompt, type the following to boot the server
1. grub> root (hdx,y)
where x is the hard disk containing /boot
y is the partition number of /boot
2. grub> kernel /vmlinuz-<version> ro root=<device file name of root partition>
type the appropriate kernel to boot & the device file name of root partition
eg.,
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 ro root=/dev/sda2
3. grub> /initrd-<version>.img
type the appropriate initrd version
4. grub> boot

Perform the above 4 steps & see if the server boots. If it boots then open /boot/grub/grub.conf and make the neccessary changes or if the file is missing create one

Thanks
Manoj